Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Where did you buy that?

Hi, and welcome to the second installment of Simmi's Craft Cave. Yes, I know the banner looks odd, I'm still trying to figure out how to fix it. Any advice would be appreciated.

This post will be all about where to find different supplies. It seems daunting thinking about all the different things you'll need, but remember - if you buy smart, you won't pay through the nose. Now, my favourite supplies centre is RIOT! Art and Craft - they have pretty much everything you can imagine. And then some.
RIOT! in Burwood, Australia
RIOT! is my favourite haunt, but there are some things you can get so much cheaper elsewhere. For example, I buy my stanley knives from my local thrift store. This might be a Hot Dollar, Red Dollar, Top Bargain, etc - regardless of what it's called, you can get a good bargain there if you know what you're looking for.

The best rule of thumb for craft supplies is if you're not sure, buy it anyway. One day you'll need it and you'll kick yourself if you don't have it. Also, you can never have to many supplies- and if you do get a whole lot of odds and ends floating around you can create something to use them up.

Ebay is a good idea. Ebay allows you to buy items at low cost and you have access to a variety of things you can't get in your local shops. Just remember that there is normally a delivery cost associated with Ebay items so it can in fact end up costing you a lot more than anticipated.




Also, a great place for supplies can be Kmart, Target, Big W, Spotlight, and other larger variety stores. Obviously, you're not going to buy and chop up a large shirt for craft supplies - no. But think of the wrapping paper, ribbons, pens, pencils, textas, paper, paint, glue, cloth, sequins and so many other things! Oh, the possibilities!

Last, but not least, one of my favourite haunts is Bunnings. Why? I'm not sure yet. I think it has something to do with the massive amount of money you can spend there and still not have anything useful. I've bought everything from paint to frames to sandpaper to christmas presents.

Bunnings in Ashfield, Australia

Bunnings is and always will be my source of the unexpected. I've found basic frames for many things, such as a tissue box and flower-shaped mirror. The sheer amount of possibilities will send you dizzy with delight. Warning: I do not recommend visiting Bunnings until after you've paid all your bills and your mortgage/rent for the month.

So there you are - my top sources for craft supplies. Note that these are only some ideas, to realise your full craft potential you need to keep your eyes open at all times and view everything as a possible craft item. Over the next few days I'd like you to have a search and write what you found in the comments - the best find/s will be noted for the world to see!

Happy Crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment